Friday, August 10, 2012

Update on Career Choices...


Some Career Changes

The last two and a half months have been full of relaxing, doing art work, and getting to know Kodiak (as you've seen through the blog entries).

Now, I’ve realized that I miss working. I miss being busy with projects, meeting with new people and making a difference in people's lives.

So, I’ve decided to make a few changes...

Just like I had planned prior to moving to Kodiak, I will still be teaching a few classes at Kodiak College this fall. In fact, classes begin in 2 weeks. I will be teaching "Interpersonal Communication" and a science writing class (yes, I know. Science? It's actually more of a writing class and I've been told it will be a good intro level course for me to teach. I'm not yet totally convinced of this, but I'm sure it will go well regardless).



In addition to Kodiak College, I decided to apply for a job at the community mental health center here in Kodiak. It is through Providence Medical Center.




Although I have been offered a job as a therapist at the mental health center, I still have my license (Licensed Professional Counselor) that needs to be registered here in Alaska. They do things very differently here and it takes awhile, but I am excited about doing therapy again and working with what seem to be some wonderful people.


In the meantime, I have been working with an International Art Therapy Organization called CHART (Communities Healing Through Art).




We are in the process of developing a blog that will be linked up with the Facebook groups created around this wonderful organization. I'm thrilled to be working with them and can't wait to see where we go with the development and fruition of the goals outlined for the work that is being created around the world.


Finally, I am taking on more and more roles with in the art therapy community. I fly out to North Carolina in September to be a part of a leadership committee associated with the credentials board for art therapists nationally.

Ok, maybe not so finally...since I love writing as well, the blogs are up and running as well as the development of a few books. I'm looking in to self-publishing (both on-line and hard copies) and will keep you updated on when they will be ready for purchase.


Quite a lot going on! There's nothing like doing what you are passionate about, however. And, I for one am all for fulfilling on dreams :)

All my best, from beautiful Kodiak, Alaska!







No comments:

Post a Comment